Sunday, August 26, 2012

Reflux be gone!

Josh has been keeping me on my sleep deprived  toes this week because of a bout with acid reflux that has turned him into a fussy monster at night.  Starting Tuesday night my sweet, laid back baby transformed into a screaming banshee from 1 am to 7 am.  I had no idea what was going on with him, but tried to convince nurses and anyone who would listen that this was not his usual personality.  I finally found out on Thursday afternoon that he had been taken off the Zantac he had been receiving and apparently has acid reflux.  Why he was taken off the Zantac I have yet to understand since reflux is a very common issue with gastroschisis babies.  The nurses and doctors tell me it is highly unusual for a gastroschisis baby to not have acid reflux.  All information that would have been good to know days ago!  Last night was the first night Josh slept at all between 1 and 7, but unfortunately we had a nurse that obviously doesn't care about parents getting sleep.  If I wasn't pumping or feeding Joshua, I was being wakened by the nurse to get vitals without regard to clustering care with Josh's feeding schedule.  Oh, I can't wait to get out of this hospital!  Now don't get me wrong, most all of the nurses are excellent, incredibly caring individuals.  Living in this interruption prone, alarm ridden environment wears you down, though. 

In good news, Josh is up to 50 cc's of milk and at this rate will be up to full feeds (2 oz.) on Tuesday which is a major step towards going home.  Hallelujah!  From my understanding, he needs to be at full feeds with no issues for several days before the doc will approve his discharge.  Could we possibly go home by Saturday?!  I can hardly let myself consider this prospect because I don't want to be crushed if it doesn't happen.  For now we wait and fervently hope we are watching Josh's first UGA game as a family at home on Saturday (GO DAWGS)!  What an awesome tailgating experience that would be!!  

The screaming banshee face (he was actually just yawning in this picture but this is what the fussy monster looks like)

No comments:

Post a Comment